- Submit your application.
- Complete your file by submitting the required supporting documents as requested by Amity’s Admission Counselor.
- Respond promptly to any requests from Amity Institute.
- Maintain a flexible period of availability.
- Be willing to go to any region of the United States (we do not accept location requests.)
- Be open to working with multiple age groups.
- Be available to come to the United States for the entire assignment period.
- Be able to fulfill the financial requirements.
- Be prepared to adapt to a new community, home, and school environment.
- An Amity Program Counselor will be assigned to you.
- Your Program Counselor will send you information about your internship, the visa application process, health insurance, and all preparations necessary prior to departure.
- The Program Counselor provides guidance, support, encouragement, and assistance with any problems from the beginning of the assignment until the end.
- You must inform Amity Institute and the school immediately.
- You will forfeit the application fee.
- Your visa sponsorship will be cancelled.
- Full School Year: (then months) from August to June
- One Semester: (five months from August to January or from January to June.)
Note: per visa regulations, assignments cannot exceed 10 months.
Below is a breakdown of the approximate age and corresponding educational level:
- Elementary: 5-12 years of age
- Middle/Jr. High: 13-15 years of age
- Secondary (High School): 15-18 years of age
- Assist teachers in classes of different levels.
- Give cultural presentations.
- Assist with student activities: festivals, sports, choir, and performances.
- Work with small student groups, help in language labs, or lead discussion groups.
- $150 non-refundable application fee paid to Amity Institute
- $180 SEVIS FEE (this is a State Department Fee)
Costs that vary by country:
- Visa application costs (approximately $150)
- Health Insurance (approximately $90 per month)
- Personal expense money (minimum of $150 per month). Covers everyday costs for toiletries, clothing, travel entertainment, telephone, etc.
- Travel Expenses to and from the United States
Consider all costs before applying. Participants receive a monthly stipend of $200 minimum as well as free room and board (a value of approximately $900 per month). Do not expect to earn additional money during your assignment as this violates visa rules.
Once invited, Amity will provide information for a qualifying insurance policy that costs approximately $90 per month. Other insurance plans are acceptable if they are in compliance with visa regulations.
- All interns live with a Host Family arranged by the Host School
- Interns receive room and board free of charge
- Interns have a private bedroom in the home
- Interns will often live with more than one host family during their assignment
- Interns are expected to actively participate in family life and household chores
- Interns are responsible for all additional living expenses
- Interns are responsible for their own transportation during free time
- Transportation to and from school is arranged by the Host School and may be with a member of the Host Family